#yes2009 – Youth Engagement Summit, 16-17 Nov 2009, part of the SEAChange movement.
over the 2 days, 2 particular speakers’ words that really hit home – Bob Geldof and Dr Mamphela Aletta Ramphele…. delCapo really hope the 200+ youths in the cozy auditorium were awake and got at least 50% of it all.
Here are some quotes from their speeches.
(1) Bob Geldof
On Mindset for change….
- Never accept your position. Question it.
- If the web can change entire industries like music and news, it can do the same for politics
- No matter how mad your idea, do it. As Gandhi said first they ignore u, then they laugh at u, then they fight u, then u win
- “Whtever u can do, or dream u can do -do it! Boldness has genius, power & magic in it,”
- Conventional thinking got us 2 whr we are today. people with unconventional thinking are usually right. We need more of that 2 save us. We need radical voices to get us out. And we CAN get out.
- The unreasonable man, persists – adapts the world to himself…. All progress depends on unreasonable people
- “Individuality isn’t impossible. It’s thinking independantly together….. Individualism is nothing but thinking different together & individualism only works when we act in concert, for common good.
- Change is only good when it meets the benefit of the people.
- Unless we cooperate as a species, there is no future.
- “The idea that a person would be considered ‘less’ than someone else because of their skin color -a disgrace” –
- “Nobody is less than another. Nobody. Everybody has e same potential if they’re given the same opportunity.”
- “as citizens of the world, you must deal with problems of the world”
- When you go online, you cease to be citizens of just South East Asia but a citizen of the world”.
- We live in a world of growing inequality. It is the signature feature of our time. –
- U must engage, u cannot be apathetic. You must engage w/ politicians & the media must be free 2 articulate that.
- Media should be free. If we could Twitter, if we could FB then the gov control to our life will be less
- “Fuck the authorities. As long as you know that youre right, non threatening and non combative, don’t be scared.”
- Logic and reasonable argument – non confrontational, never threatening. You will win (vs a corrupt govt).” –
- Q: in a country where vocalization lands u in jail.What do you do? …A: GO TO JAIL!
- In Africa, corruption is less than South East Asia.
- The reason (govt) say that you are too young and too immature is because they fear you
My personal favourite…. “Our punk songs became hit records because they were an articulated reflection of what was going on in the world”
(2) Dr Mamphela Aletta Ramphele, former MD of World Bank
Morals and Ethics are not the same…. Morals VS Ethics should be looked at very seriously.
“morality in political conflicts are caused by bad ethical behaviors of leaders”, Example (A) leaders who hang on/grab to power despite losing elections (Zimbabwe), (B) policing of “immorality”, intruding inter-racial couples privacy to keep white supremacy in (south africa)… SOUND FAMILIAR????
Rich problems – Kids today should interract more! Children in rich families have parents obsessed wif never ending races in life n attachment to technology
Poor problem – “children born in loveless homes (e.g. rape, conflicts).. children in misery” is the biggest worry