Anyone who lives in Klang Valley today would have experienced extra heavy traffic all day…. largely due to the numerous police roadblocks all around. Why? There’s a high profile “ISA Day”…
ISA Day? Yup… it was supposed to be an “Anti-ISA” day, championed by GMI… but the so-called Pro-ISA parties have also decided to join in the fun…
Their (Pro ISA) distractors may argue that these are pro-UMNO/BN supporters in disguise.. there to possibly:
- give the mainstream media an angle to sell the fact that Malaysia still needs ISA
- play “nice guys” and disperse when the police tell them to (so Anti ISA will look bad)
- threaten Anti ISA and create unrest.
Lets get a short lowdown of both sides’ causes
- ISA is “key” to maintaining peace and national security in the country…
- errr…. that’s all really.
- Allows for dentention without trials , therefore violation of basic Human Rights (read article)
- Malaysia’s ISA Act gives absolute power to the Home Minister and police for arrest… resulting in abuse of power, political arrests.
- “Out of date” law made in the 1960’s to counter the communists ressurgence.
- Check out the 1960’s debate in parliament before ISA was passed as a law.
Now… here’s the thing… No2ISA groups recommends repealling the ISA Act and replace it with a comprehensive “Anti-terrorist Act” with check and balances (with no room for abuse and political arrests) so Malaysia can be safe from terrorist threat without violation of basic human rights.