- Port Weld was renamed Kuala Sepetang during Sultan Idris rule. (anyone know the date?)
- The first ever rail way in Malaysia was built from Port Weld to Taiping.
- It is, AND should be honoured, as one of Malaysia’s heritage sites.
This predominantly chinese area has some of the friendliest but independent minded people you will ever meet.
Some of the issues they face today after years of BN rule (PKR only took over the state seat in 2008):
- Approx. 200 fishermen have not gotten their fishing license for years… apparently only NOW (this week) has BN, led by Ong Tee Kiat promise that they will get theirs SOON!
- The local masjid, the only one here, is seeing renovation & road tarring for the FIRST time in 50 years… again, this week.
- Many live in houses on TOL land, which have NOT been renewed for more than 15 years… The Pakatan Rakyat state government was gonna arrange freeholdtitles for them.
- The Pakatan Rakyat government was also in the midst of consulting with the residents on some land adjustments to accomodate new housing & infrastructure for them.
- The neglect of Port Weld as a historical town is suspicious…. as rumours of a major development company, backed by BN, is eyeing much of the land for their own development (maybe THEN will Port Weld get it’s deserved status, but NOT benefitting the locals… maybe)
- The locals have been depending on boats to cross the river to a part known only as “Kuay Kang” in Hokkien (Cross River)… they have been waiting for a bridge… which Pakatan Rakyat has planned for… now hijacked by BN as part of their election promise… as per other election promises.
- Sathival, a local chap, told us about some locals living in extreme poverty & offered to take us to visit them… we ran out of time as Sathival had to attend to something…. shall follow-up!
Port Weld will always be Port Weld to most…. lets hope the locals get what they deserve… & soon… not just empty election promises.
more pix of scenes from Port Weld within….